Roberto Raga is a PhD in Geoengineering (Cagliari, 2000) and since February 2006 he is Researcher at the University of Padua, where he teaches since 2008 the course of “Remediation of Contaminated Sites”, for international students of the Master of Science in Environmental Engineering (in English).
His educational and research interests are related to waste management and to the remediation of contaminated sites and landfills, with particular reference to the application of in situ aeration techniques for the reduction of long-term emissions and landfill reclamation.
He is a member of the following Task Group of the International Waste Working Group (IWWG):
- Landfill aeration
- Sustainable landfilling
The IWWG (www.iwwg.eu) is a working group that brings together some of the best known international experts in waste management and is a laboratory for the development of new ideas and the promotion of advanced research topics.
It was involved in the following international projects funded by the European Union and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:
- PSDWSEP – Pre-treatment and safe disposal of municipal solid waste and waste water sludge for environmental protection (EU, FP5, 2000 – 2002);
- EVAPASSOLD – Evaluation and Preliminary Assessment of Old waste Deposits (EU, FP5, 2000 – 2004)
TETRAWAMA – Development of Teaching and Training Modules for Higher Education in the Waste Management Sector (EU, Asialink project, 2003 – 2006)
- Cooperation project Italy – China: ROLES – Remediation of Old Landfills for Environmental sustainability and final sink (Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2016 – 2018)
He is a member of the Program Committee of the Sardinia Symposia with the role of Scientific Secretary. He is the author of over 60 scientific publications in national and international journals, books and conference proceedings.
Selected recent publications:
- Cossu, R., Morello, L., Raga, R., Cerminara, G., 2016. Biogas production enhancement using semi-aerobic pre-aeration in a hybrid bioreactor landfill. Waste Management 55, 83-92
- Raga, R., Cossu, R., Heerenklage, J., Pivato, A., Ritzkowski, M., 2015. Landfill aeration for emission control before and during landfill mining. Waste Management 46, 420-429
- Raga, R., Cossu, R., 2014. Landfill aeration in the framework of a reclamation project in Northern Italy. Waste Management 34, 683-691
- Marella, G., Raga, R., 2014. Use of the Contingent Valuation Method. Waste Management 34, 1199-1205.
- Raga, R., Cossu, R., 2013. Bioreactor tests preliminary to landfill in situ aeration: a case study. Waste Management 33, 871-880